Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 5   [ 83 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: seeking the truth
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:08 pm 

Religion: Baptist
baptist bumble wrote:
I think those three books are all very good...

If you're still looking for other books in a similar vein you could try:
- Four Witnesses (which takes a look at four early Church Fathers and shows their non-Protestant beliefs system)
- Evangelical is Not Enough (displays the value, sense, purpose and beauty of liturgy in general... a simple, quick read too)
- Lead Kindly Light (a more flowery version of similar books by converts... good, but doesn't use as many nuts and bolts)
- By What Authority (great book, and Shea has a unique, refreshing way of looking at the need for a Church tradition).
- Crossing the Tiber (by the host of this site, Steve Ray. Really, it mostly deals with Baptism and the Eucharist... but he does a very thorough job dealing with them. I wish I had consulted this work sooner).
- How to go from being a Good Evangelical to Committed Catholic in 95 Difficult Steps (this one is relatively new compared to the others, and I don't know a ton about the author's viewpoints, but... he seems orthodox AFAIK and the style he wrote it in and organized it in was GREAT for an ADDer like me. Probably my favorite for that reason alone).
- The Bible Made Impossible (written by a recent convert to the RCC while he was still an Evangelical. The second part of the book isn't quite as helpful, but the first part does a good job of tearing down Biblicism IMHO)

A different avenue to take might be to read some Catholic works that are not apologetic in nature. I enjoyed Prayer for Beginners by Kreeft and Time for God by Phillippe. Some of Scott Hahn's books (while they work equally well for purposes of apologetics) like Hail, Holy Queen and The Lamb's Supper offer some deep insight without being overly polemical. Have you tried reading part of the catechism yet? If not pick a category, find out where that info is covered (ask on DCF for recommendations) and go to town.

This approach is good because it can be frustrating to always view the Church's teaching viz-a-viz the Protestant viewpoints (I should know, I read those books over and over again and was always comparing). But if you aren't careful you can come to see every argument in a lockstep, point-counterpoint-counter,counterpoint way... your head can start to swim with debate. It happened to me... not that it means it will happen to you.

By simply reading Catholic teaching, Catholic thought, Catholic reflection on its own and for its own end you gain an appreciation of it for itself and on its own terms... not as part of a debate or a comparison. Of course at sometime you will have to compare it and make a decision of your own, but if you really spend time learning and getting into it for its own sake... you'll be better formed to make that decision.

And as a side note, don't do what I did... I think I tried to think my way home. Of course no one here would say that reading, thinking, and scrutinizing doctrine is profitless... but at the same time, we know that it can only get one so far. Prayer, listening for God and exercising the virtue of faith are more important. That has been the most common advice I've received on DCF (many thanks to Fr. Kenobi). It seemed like such elementary advice. It was too simple, I thought... it was something you'd tell a child and not at all "up to my level." Or so I thought...

Well, I've tried it the other way (not spending time in prayer and not acting on faith) and I can tell you from experience that I wish I hadn't. The confusion only got worse the more I ignored prayer and obedience, regardless of how much study I did. I brought a lot of that on myself. Turns out, I'm not on as "high a level" as I thought, and in reality I am a child (or at least in my faith, I need to become like one) and I needed that answer... more importantly I needed to do it! So please, from the goofball who made the wrong choice (but has hopefully learned his lesson), I highly recommend the priority of prayer approach! Don't learn the hard way, like me.

...and btw, I'm not suggesting you are ignoring prayer and faith by reading apologetics works. Im simply relating mistakes I made in hopes others might not have to make them.

Thank you so much! This is the best advice I have gotten so far. Not that the rest wasn't good. I appreciate everyones help as I try to do God's will.

By the way "Crossing the Tiber" is next on my list. I'm just waiting on it from amazon.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:50 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
you will be blown away by the info provided with regard to how the early Church viewed the Eucharist and baptism :fyi: :wave

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:32 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
and speaking of baptism...in case you didn't see this comment, you should

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=144282&p=2390866#p2390866

De Maria numquam satis

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 5   [ 83 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5