Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Total Consecration Question
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:16 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic
I'm going through this now.

It's been an odd experience since I'm not entirely comfortable with it. Part of it will be giving all of my Merits (The gifts of the Father given to me through the work of Christ by way of the Holy Spirit) to Mary so she can utilize them as she pleases. One question I have though, can't Catholics just turn these back over back to Christ? The reason I'm not comfortable with it is because this seems to be some of the Deep Catholicism that I'm still suspicious of, so with everything I do I say the prayer, "Lord, discipline me if this is not within your will."

It was already kind of weird to wrap my head around appearing before Christ naked, since the Clothes (Merits) I've been given would have been, ideally, given to Mary. I had to go back over what a "Merit" was, and still might be off in my understanding. Even so, I could easily see someone going through this (33 Days to Morning Glory) thinking it's possible for someone to not go to heaven or spend a long time in purgatory because they didn't do enough good works to please Jesus. If I don't keep my terms in check I feel like it could easily be Pelagian.

Second Question: To those that have done this, how has your life and relationship with Christ changed?

Absolutely.

Post subject: Re: Total Consecration Question
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:12 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Nathan,

I have done the De Montfort consecration to our Blessed Mother and also the "33 Days to Morning Glory". And, at my age I have done it more than once. :)

Our Blessed Mother definitely brings us closer to her Son!

The consecration gets more meaningful as time goes by.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:32 am 
Master
Master

Just finished the section on Maximillian Kolbe. I'm in some very foreign lands now:) Pressing forward though. His understanding on the Immaculata and the Holy Spirit is at the same time beautiful and somewhat unnerving. I'm being confronted with some the concepts I've avoided or wrote off before, namely the Medatrix.

Btw I can understand how Mary is a most powerful intercessor, but how do they make the jump to Medatrix of all Graces from Christ? How do they come to that conclusion? I can't quite find or understand that theological thread.

Absolutely.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:27 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Nathan wrote:
Just finished the section on Maximillian Kolbe. I'm in some very foreign lands now:) Pressing forward though. His understanding on the Immaculata and the Holy Spirit is at the same time beautiful and somewhat unnerving. I'm being confronted with some the concepts I've avoided or wrote off before, namely the Medatrix.

Btw I can understand how Mary is a most powerful intercessor, but how do they make the jump to Medatrix of all Graces from Christ? How do they come to that conclusion? I can't quite find or understand that theological thread.

Deep things can be unnerving. I allow myself some slack when I can't fully comprehend what a saint is saying. What they say can give some illumination to my spirit but not completely. Maybe at some future time there will be more.

With regard to our Blessed Mother I remind myself that her Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, is one in mind and heart with her, and was given by Him to us at the foot of the cross.