Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Surrendering to Christ (Kenosis)
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:54 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Within Catholic theology and practice, is this(Surrender to God) a continuing process or a one time event, or a little bit of both?

If someone has a pattern of "going in and out" when it comes their spiritual condition and relationship with God, do you think this person is missing something fundamental from their Faith? Are they failing to properly achieve kenosis?

I've read the New Advent article on it, but it seems to deal mainly with the meaning of the word as it relates to the Incarnation.

"4 For it is impossible in the case of those who have once been enlightened and tasted the heavenly gift[a] and shared in the holy Spirit 5 and tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,[b] 6 and then have fallen away, to bring them to repentance again, since they are recrucifying the Son of God for themselves[c] and holding him up to contempt"

This might be more a personal issue for the believer to explore and discover on her/his own, but I wanted to see what the board had to say.

Absolutely.

Post subject: Re: Surrendering to Christ (Kenosis)
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:31 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I have never heard kenosis used in the sense you are using it here. Are you talking about the idea of dying to self?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:15 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I have never heard kenosis used in the sense you are using it here. Are you talking about the idea of dying to self?

Yes. My use of the term is probably improper.

But yea, dying to self so you can be reborn in Christ, or rejuvenated in Christ.

Absolutely.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:36 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I thought Kenosis referred to the evangelization of those who are in the first house and proficients (no?).

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.