Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blessing of Religious Objects
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:13 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Can a priest use a vernacular translation of the old Roman Rite blessings? Or come to think about it... can they make one up off the top of their heads (like some priests seem to do)? What I mean is, is it licit or lawful?

I'm thinking of having my priest bless my new rosaries using this formula. And to have him use this to bless salt and water.

Post subject: Re: Blessing of Religious Objects
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:17 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Vernacular versions of the old rite are tricky. I'm really reluctant to do the blessing of salt and water in English, for example, because it involves a (minor) exorcism and I'm not aware of a translation approved for use (as opposed to one for study), and I don't like saying "I exorcize," even with respect to holy water and salt, without the full authority of the Church behind me.

I'm not concerned about using the vernacular for a rosary blessing.

You will get a variety of answers on the second question, but force of custom at least suggests it's licit. You can find priests who disagree.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:47 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
The difficulty is this: the rituale Romanum is in Latin. But the SRC permitted local Churches to render some of the prayers/blessings in English, but not all. The US did this in the 1952 Collectio Rituum. There were quite a few changes after 1952 (e.g the blessing of the Rosary, formerly reserved to Dominicans) led to the 1961 Collectio Rituum

Just a few years later, the US bishops got permission to render everything in English, leading to the 1964/1965 Collectio Rituum (there were some other changes)

Very few have access to the 1961 version, so the 1964 which was more widely published gets used.

The debate is the Summorum Pontificum permits those books in force in 1962. And as of 1962, not everything could be in English. As a rule, any blessing containing an exorcism must be in Latin in the 1961 Rubrics.

From a letter of the law perspective, it would thus be illicit to do them in English. But custom can change or even abolish a law, and some have argued it has become normative. It is a tenuous argument, as that requires decades to obtain force of law, but that is the contention

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:54 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Hmm. Interesting. I guess I'll just settle for the current form or whatever the priest chooses. I have no strong preference either way (it's not like I think one blessing is more efficacious). It's just that I thought it would be cool to witness the priest say, "I exorcize!" in person, and I think the prayers in the old form a more beautiful to hear.