Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 2 of 2   [ 32 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: How to Interact With "Married" Gay Catholic Man
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:29 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Denise Dee wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:
You owe FriendofAugustine an apology.

What for?

For insinuating he was being judgmemtal.

Denise Dee wrote:
It's a quote from the Bible to support the point I made, FriendofAugustine, it wasn't a criticism of you!

That is an explanation, DD. Signum Crucis requested you make an apology.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:31 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Denise Dee wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:

What for?

Denise Dee wrote:
It's a quote from the Bible to support the point I made, FriendofAugustine, it wasn't a criticism of you!

Hey I let this go before because I really don't care that much. :) but I can't help but point out that when you say something in support of a point you're trying to make, the thing you include that supposedly supports that point implies whatever your post is trying to say. In other words if your supporting point says a particular thing , then so does the original comment.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:26 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Denise Dee wrote:
Unless he told you that he has an ongoing sexual relationship with his 'husband', you don't know whether he is in a sexual relationship or not. They could be living together as a married couple just for companionship, for all you know. You may think they're having a sexual relationship but you don't know.

Even if they are continent, the misappropriation of the word "husband" is a problem.

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:57 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Denise Dee wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:

What for?

Denise Dee wrote:

Your initial post was an admonition to FoA about being judgemental. At least three people on this thread took it that way, so it isn't my imagination. What you said to him had nothing to do with his question. It was you insinuating, strongly, that he was doing something he did not do. Besides that, he was asking knowledgeable Catholics for advice, not you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:27 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Denise Dee wrote:
FriendofAugustine wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Unless he told you that he has an ongoing sexual relationship with his 'husband', you don't know whether he is in a sexual relationship or not. They could be living together as a married couple just for companionship, for all you know. You may think they're having a sexual relationship but you don't know.

"Judge not and you shall not be judged. Condemn not and you shall not be condemned."

Yeah thanks for this. He actually did say that he doesn't confess his "sexual activity with (his) husband."

And please don't give me that judge not and condemn not stuff. I'm not judging or condemning anyone.

Can you explain what you meant by the quote and how it supports the point you made without insinuating that FoA was being judgmental?

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:45 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Looking for answers
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
You don't understand God, and you don't understand love, and you submit everything to a test based on what you don't understand.

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I didn't intend to insult you. Everything I said about understanding applies to me too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:49 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Denise Dee, please read the description for Catholicism 101. I don't think you can comply with the requirements for giving advice in this particular forum. You are free to ask questions, you are not free to give bad advice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:05 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Signum Crucis wrote:
Denise Dee, please read the description for Catholicism 101. I don't think you can comply with the requirements for giving advice in this particular forum. You are free to ask questions, you are not free to give bad advice.

Okay, fair enough. Here's a question: What "bad advice" did I give?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:10 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Denise Dee wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:

Anything that you say in this forum that doesn't square with the teachings of the Catholic Church.

You still have not apologized to FoA. :fyi:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:24 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Denise Dee wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
You don't understand God, and you don't understand love, and you submit everything to a test based on what you don't understand.

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I didn't intend to insult you. Everything I said about understanding applies to me too.

De Deo loquimur, quid mirum si non comprehendis? Si enim comprehendis, non est Deus. -- St. Augustine, Sermon CXVII.5.
"When I speak about God, what wonder is it if you do not understand? For if you do understand, it is not God."
No human person, no created intellect can understand God perfectly. Only God understands himself fully. Mary, now in Heaven, understands God more than any other human person. We - including I, you, LotE and Father - do not understand God fully. When Father Kenobi said "you do not understand God", he was pointing out a truth. Father explicitly said (in the second quote) that he doesn't understand God either (his intellect is created, too).

The first quote began with "[God is love, which] you understand as, "God does what I think I would do if I were God, based on how I understand love."
In the second quote, Father had added, "If that wasn't what you meant, please tell me what it was so I can either clarify or withdraw it." You left these parts out, so his intended meaning is less clear and his charity is less perceptible in your mutilated version.

Denise Dee wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:

You implied (on a plain and natural reading of your first response in this thread) that if the two people mentioned in the op were not indulging in genital acts, the situation would not be sinful/problematic. However, since the words marriage and husband are misappropriated, and since gay "marriage" is a source of scandal (in the classical sense of the term), the Church's doctrine is not reflected in your response.

Independently of Siggy asking you to give an apology, I (who am not part of the board administration) had asked you for an explanation of what you meant. I await.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:09 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Anyone who is asking me to apologise for something I didn't do is asking me to lie. I'm sure if I had nothing better to do, I could find countless examples of people in these forums quoting the words of Jesus in ways which others, if they were petty enough, could misconstrue as a personal attack on them even after it was made clear to them that it wasn't.

My advice to myself, and nobody else, is move on, don't waste time on this pettiness and focus on more important things instead such as the love of God and love of neighbour, which manifests in very real ways, whether my neighbour be straight or gay, married or "married", Christian or non Christian, sinner or sinner.

That's all I wish to say in this thread and as I have no further questions I am leaving this forum until such time as I have a question.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:46 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Denise Dee wrote:
Anyone who is asking me to apologise for something I didn't do is asking me to lie. I'm sure if I had nothing better to do, I could find countless examples of people in these forums quoting the words of Jesus in ways which others, if they were petty enough, could misconstrue as a personal attack on them even after it was made clear to them that it wasn't.

I find your denial unconvincing, as do others.

Quote:
That's all I wish to say in this thread and as I have no further questions I am leaving this forum until such time as I have a question.

There was no need to make an announcement, but I appreciate that you have decided to follow the rules of this forum.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 2 of 2   [ 32 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2